Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tabaski

Around the time of our American Thanksgiving, my Senegalese family celebrated Tabaski. Tabaski is a Muslim holiday celebrating Abraham's sacrifice. It was quite an experience to spend the day with them. It reminded me a lot of being with my family at Thanksgiving. The men slaughtered the rams and then watched football (soccer) all afternoon. The women cooked and then when in a back room and talked for the rest of the day.
I was warned before I went that I would probably have to eat some liver. I'd never had liver before, so I couldn't honestly say I didn't like it. However, the thought of eating liver didn't sit too well with me. Needless to say, God and I spent a lot of time talking about this before I went for Tabaski and as I was sitting helping cook. I kept telling myself that it isn't really that odd. Lots of people eat liver. My dad likes it. It'll be fine. Then when I saw them serving it, I tried to convince myself that I wasn't really liver. Anyway, I ate it, kept it down, and didn't make a face. I would say it was a successful tasting but not one I want to repeat anytime soon.



I was told I had to wear nice, Senegalese clothing. This is my nicest outfit, which I only wore on the trip there and on the trip back. They made me change into another outfit to help them cook so that I wouldn't get mine dirty. It was an interesting experience. This was taken at the end of the day right before I left. I was there for about nine hours and was a little tired.


This is one of three rams that the family sacrificed. The men were in charge of preparing the meat. Two of the three men who worked on the rams ended up cutting themselves. Needless to say, I kept a safe distance.



The women cut up lots and lots of potatoes for french fries. They make some of the best fries!



The infamous liver (if liver can be infamous) cooking on the "grill." Thankfully I only had to eat one bite. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13





Brothers and sisters around the world love to torment each other. Senegalese siblings are no exception. I just had to get a clip of this because it reminded me so much of me and my brothers, only I was the little one.


Pictures are a great way to end fights. After getting the above video clip, I told them I wanted to take their picture. Immediately, they were all smiles and hugging each other. Cameras are an amazing weapon to have when kids are around.

No comments:

Post a Comment