We ate, had a time of worship through music and a devotion, then ate some more, played some games, and left. I spent the remainder of the day with the McIntires, not wanting to go home and sit alone. All in all, it was a good day, but it was very different.
I did get to talk to my family on Thanksgiving, which was very nice. It was good to hear all of their voices even if I couldn't be there with them. I really just wanted to check up on them and make sure that had followed all of the family traditions. I could just picture them slacking because I was gone. Anyway, they had done most of the normal Thanksgiving activities, and I added those things that were missing, such as the complaining about watching football all day and making fun of my cousin.
Unfortunately, I was also reminded of some other things that weren't so pleasant. (Thank you, Shane!) My cousin so kindly told me not to even think about the food they had eaten. He wasn't even going to mention the turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, etc. I really appreciated him being so kind and thinking of me. He said all of this as he was headed into the kitchen to get some ice cream. Cousins! It's great to feel loved!
It was great to have a place to go on Thanksgiving. I didn't know most of these people, but they let me eat their food anyway. It was good to be surrounded by people for a little while. I also got to enjoy some good Baptist humor.
These are a couple of students who I've been working with on trumpet. We got to play as part of the Thanksgiving service. They are sounding really good!
After eating, I just sat back and relaxed. It was good to eat most of the same foods I would have eaten in the States. They didn't all taste the same, but it was comforting just to have them there.
This is the McIntire's son and one of my students. We laugh a lot! I can't believe that he calls me Miss Mize! After we played our trumpets, he cheered for me, "Yeah Miss Mize!" He cracks me up, but it's nice to have a fan.
I have really enjoyed reading your blog! You are a fantastic writer and I look forward to hearing more of your story. We are thinking of and praying for you. Keep going strong!
ReplyDelete