In many ways I still feel like a college student. And, I really didn't know what to do with myself over Spring Break. I felt like I should be going to visit my parents, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. What do you do with two weeks? Fortunately, I did find a few things to do, and I got a few surprises along the way.
I got my biggest surprise my first weekend of Spring Break. When I showed up at my Senegalese family's house on Saturday, there were tons of ladies sitting around and cooking. I knew I had walked into some type of celebration or mourning. Everyone looked happy, so I assumed the first. When I finally asked, I found out that one of my friends was getting married that day. Surprise!
They just kept saying, "No one called you?" After I knew what was going on, I left. I was not dressed for a wedding and felt very out of place. Before you think me rude and culturally insensitive, let me say that I did return. I told them I was going to change into my Senegalese clothes and that I would be back in time for lunch.
When I got back, I sat around with a group of women and listened to them talk and make comments about the "toubab" (that would be me) who had just shown up. I stayed until early evening but left before the bride returned from the salon. They know how to do some serious celebrating here.
The first part of my Spring Break I spent a lot of time with a family here in Dakar who have kind of taken me in, which I am very thankful for. They were getting ready to move across town, and I wanted to help in some way, though I didn't really do very much. I enjoyed having a place to go. It made it a little bit easier when I really just wanted a quick visit with my mom and dad.
During the middle of the two weeks, I got to go to a teaching conference in Germany. I enjoyed the conference and really appreciated the scenery. Senegal this time of year (and most other times of the year) is not very green. There is just not a lot growing here. Anyway, Germany was very green and rainy, two things that I haven't seen in awhile.

Look at that green grass, that beautiful yellow flower, and that heavy coat. Oh the differences between Europe and Africa!

On the way back to Senegal, we had a layover in Portugal. We went out exploring for a few hours and found a castle. The only problem was that it was on the top of a really tall hill. We had to climb up these stairs and then some.
I made it to the top (barely). Must have air. Are there really more stairs up ahead? Oh well, I didn't have to exercise later. This was definitely a good workout for the day. And thankfully, going down was easier than going up.
I just wanted to show what a good friend I was. While in the airport, my friend ordered some hot chocolate from Starbucks. It came with lots of whipped cream on top, which she doesn't like. I decided to make the sacrifice for her and eat the whipped cream. Life can really be a challenge at times.
All in all, it was a good break from school, and I enjoyed my time. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had some place to go. I am also very thankful for friends who made the time go more quickly. Maybe someday I'll feel like a "grown-up." Then again, I enjoy being a "kid." Feeling like a kid keeps me dependent on God. I know I can't handle things on my own. May I never forget that I am His child in this journey into adulthood.
No comments:
Post a Comment