Sunday, October 4, 2009

Visiting with Family

I've had the opportunity to visit with my Senegalese family several times since I've been back. They are so much fun to be around. Their hospitality is unmatched by any I've ever known. They really make me feel like I'm part of their family, and I can barely speak the language. I love them and look forward to many more visits. I also look forward to being able to speak to them more and share the story that has changed my life.

If pictures say a thousand words, then I better stop writing and let you read these pictures.

Here's a picture of me and the baby in the house. His name is Pop ______. I don't have a clue how to spell it, and I mumble it when I say it. So, we'll just call him Pop for now. This was taken by one of the girls in the house. That's why my head is cut off.


This is the picture taken by the girl's mother. As you can see, my head is still attached, which I'm thankful for. I do a lot of holding the baby when I'm over there.



This is right after shower time when they all look fresh and clean. The hottest part of the day was over, so they all take showers and dress up. This is Maita, one of the craziest people I know. (And that's saying something!) She's great! I love her. She can always make me laugh or feel incredibly awkward.


When I told them I needed to leave, they made me wait for the peanuts to get done so that I could take some with me. Ida was cooking them over a gas fire in a pan of sand. I'm not sure how clean they are, but I ate some anyway. I figure I'm not eating the outside. They were very soft in the middle. They have the consistency of green peas.

Another picture of the baby and Anta. He's so cute! And, she's so pretty! She's grown so much since last summer. She's a bit of a rebel at times, but she's a lot of fun.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so Glad you've gotten to see your family! I know they're just loving having you! Tell them Mariama says Aasalaamalekum!! and take an extra handful of ceeb for me! (I know they'll like that!)
    :-)
    Love you, suma xharit! I'm so thankful to have such a great servant over there with "our people"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man Seynabou, it is so exciting to see pictures of the family! Anta looks older! And the baby is beautiful. Tell the family I say he is ugly! haha. they will like that. lol.

    I am so glad to see you are doing well. Tell them I pray for them and think about them every day!

    Love you Seynabou!

    Khady Sylla

    ReplyDelete