Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I'm a Big Kid Now

I knew when I graduated from college that there was the possibility I could be mistaken for a student, but I thought with time that would change. Apparently, it takes more time than I originally thought, but I'll let you be the judge. Let's take a look at the following situations, all of which happened after, not during, my first year teaching.


Situation #1:

Sitting in a prayer meeting, a man shares about this "boy" helping him in his missions work. When asked how old this "boy" was, he said, "He's 23, just a baby." I was 23 at the time. My conclusion, I'm still considered a baby.

Situation #2:

At the start of last school year, a new staff member asks me what grade I'm in. Of course, I assumed that I had misunderstood and that she had asked me what I teach. So, I responded with, "I teach special education." Well, I quickly realized that she had asked me what grade I was in when she apologized for thinking I was a student. My conclusion, I look like I'm in high school.

Situation #3:

After school one day, I see a parent walking by. I greet them and get a funny look in return. That's a little odd because I had met this parent before, but I kept going. He takes 2 steps, and his daughter tells him who I am. He then turns around and apologizes, saying that he thought I was one of the kids. My conclusion, I look like a high school student. (I will have to say that I was dressed for softball practice, which may make a little bit of a difference.)

Situation#4:

This summer helping move my grandma, one of my cousin's sons asked my mom if I was in high school or college? Even my own family doesn't know how old I am. My conclusion, I will forever be the baby.

Situation #5:

While visiting some friends (one of them a former student), I am introduced to his new principal as his former teacher. Of course, my student's mother is with me, and the principal, assuming I'm a student, reaches out his hand to her. She quickly explains that she is his mother and that I am the teacher. He responds that he thought I was one of the students. My conclusion, I look like a student.

Situation #6:

While visiting those same friends, a teenager asks me how old I am. When I tell her I'm 24, she says, "Oh, I thought you were 16." Do I really look that young? My conclusion, I look like I'm 16.

Situation #7:

Buying valve oil in a music store, the cashier asks me if I'm in high school or college. When I tell him that I am a teacher, he says that he had been leaning more towards college. Now, I know that there aren't too many people that continue to play instruments after they graduate, but I had specifically dressed more professionally that day. My conclusion, no matter what I wear, I still look like a student.

So, as you can see, I must still look like a kid. Other people have told me that someday I will appreciate this fact. I'm a patient person; I can wait.

Honestly, I enjoy being a kid. I can laugh at myself and play games. I get to watch animated movies and color (okay, maybe not so much, but I could if I wanted to). And, someday when I look like an adult (and I'm sure it will happen), I will maintain my right to be a kid. In fact, Jesus even says in the Bible that "unless you change and become like a little child, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." I'm forever a child of the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment